Did Gandhiji consider AyurvEdic medicines as poison?

ybrems
This post, I have made, originally at my blog on Gandhiji. It seems more relevant to AyurvEda. Hence, I am re-posting it here.


Gandhiji wrote to his son dEvadas Gandhi, on Jan. 1, 1945.
Source: Vol.85 of Collected Works of MahatmA Gandhi.

CHI. DEVDAS,
Having written my first letter to Rajaji I now write this to you. Do not at all worry on my account. I am paying for my sins. I had too much of Ayurveda and I suffered. And now I am slowly throwing off the poison. I have therefore grown very weak but I am watching the developments. Hook-worm and amoeba, my old enemies, won’t leave me.
All this is but flushing out the poison that I had taken. I do not know what other suffering is in store for me. I shall go on doing as God dictates. You should not worry. Ramdas[1] has come. And now Nimu[2] too.



ybrems
1. Gandhiji and Swami Vivekananda has one thing in common. 'I am paying for my sins." Vivekananda called this "my karma".

2. Gandhiji: "I shall go on doing as God dictates."
Vivekananda had a habit of going by the dictates of "Mother".

3. Did somebody tell Gandhiji about the mercury, sulphur, lead, and other heavy metals used in Ayurvedic medicines? At least 75% of the AyurvEdic medicines are 'rasa' aushadhas i.e. mercury mixtures.

4. Gandhiji had come to a near conclusion that he had taken poison. Flushing out the poison!

5. Since Gandhiji wrote this letter in 1945, i.e. at the fag end of his life, I believe that he had not changed his opinion between 1945 and 1948.

What the Ayurvedic physicians have to say about this?

Comments

sandhyabandi said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Reason for deleting the above comment: Spam.

Popular posts from this blog

How far AyurvEdic system of medicine has progressed since Gandhiji's comments of 1942-46?

011 A discussion about the impact of CURD (yogurt) on our body, as per ancient Ancient Indian Native Medical Texts

012, #012 Part 1 of Tentative Musings about Single Herbs, Combination Medicines, Extracts, Extraction Methods,